Rutland Regional’s services include a collaborative system of healthcare providers offering education, primary care, outpatient acute care, rehabilitation and assisted living. The hospital provides key specialties areas including:
- Orthopaedics – Rutland Regional partners with Vermont Orthopaedic Clinic, recognized throughout the Northeast as a leader in the treatment of orthopaedic and sports-related injuries and illnesses.
- Oncology – The Foley Cancer Center at Rutland Regional provides advanced diagnostic and treatment services including chemotherapy, radiation therapy and surgery. Radiation treatment technology includes the RapidArc™ radiation system, one of the most advanced available.
- Diagnostic Imaging – Rutland Regional offers a full range of state-of-the-art diagnostic services and is one of just five U.S. hospitals – and the only rural hospital – to be named a GE Healthcare “Community Hospital Showcase”.
- Cardiology – The Rutland Heart Center provides comprehensive care for heart and vascular disease patients, from testing to treatment, including a diagnostic catheterization lab.
Centers of Excellence
As part of our continued efforts to promote unsurpassed quality and patient satisfaction within our hospital, Rutland Regional Medical Center has established the following 9 Centers of Excellence that are held to the highest levels of accountability.
- Cardiac Rehabilitation
- The Center for Sleep Disorders
- Diagnostic Imaging – CT Scanning
- Diagnostic Imaging – Mammography
- Diagnostic Imaging – MRI
- Diagnostic Imaging – Ultrasound
- Diagnostic Imaging – Nuclear Medicine
Community awards and certifications (see additional quality awards listed below)
- Magnet® Designation – In April 2010 Rutland Regional earned Magnet® designation for excellence in nursing by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s (ANCC) Magnet Recognition Program. A highly selective program, only five percent of hospitals nationwide have been granted Magnet status, one of the highest achievements an organization can obtain in professional nursing. We are proud to report Rutland Regional received Magnet® recertification in 2015.
- Governor’s Award for Performance Excellence – In May 2010, Rutland Regional Medical Center received the Governor’s Award for Performance Excellence. The Governor’s Award, based upon the Baldrige Criteria for Performance Excellence, calls for an organized and integrated approach to organizational excellence.
To improve the health of the Rutland Region and surrounding communities by providing appropriate, superior, integrated, preventative, diagnostic and therapeutic health services in a caring environment through the strength of our people, technology and relationships.
Quality. We will provide superior, integrated, health services which meet our customer needs through: excellent clinical outcomes, up-to-date technology, well maintained facilities, effective processes, and competent, engaged and caring staff.
Customer Service. We will consistently deliver an exceptional customer experience which results in high levels of satisfaction.
Market Share Growth. We will develop new services and expand existing services in collaboration with others to meet appropriate customer needs resulting in increased market share, and expansion into new markets.
Information Excellence. We will support the organization’s key processes by providing excellent information which results in effective delivery & coordination of care, informed clinical decision making, efficient operations, and improved patient involvement.
Financial Strength. We will achieve financial strength and stability by maintaining the health of our community, by optimizing reimbursement and improving our cost structure to produce sufficient margins, and by increasing philanthropic giving.
Employee Engagement. We will create an environment where employee engagement flourishes and we commit our hearts and minds to meeting and exceeding the needs of our customers and each other.
Rutland Regional Medical Center was established as Rutland Hospital on September 6, 1896. It is an affiliate of Rutland Regional Health Services, along with:
- Vermont Sports Medicine Center
- The Meadows
- The Gables
- Established: September 6, 1896
- Number of Beds: 133
- Emergency Department Visits: 34,066
- Number of Births: 355
- Rehabilitation Visits (Physical, Occupational, Speech Therapy): 33,168
- Medical and Radiation Oncology Visits: 21,096
- Outpatient Registrations: 223,187
- Inpatient Admissions: 5,182
- Free Care: $4,167,120
- Medical Staff: 256
- Medical Specialties: 37
- Employees: 1,656
- Volunteers: 367
- Volunteer Hours Contributed: 53,230
- President: Thomas W. Huebner
- Rutland Regional Board Chair: Michael Dick, MD
2013 Top Performer on Key Quality Measures® from The Joint Commission
The Joint Commission has recognized Rutland Regional Medical Center as a 2013 Top Performer on Key Quality Measures®. Rutland Regional has been recognized for its excellence in accountability measure performance shown to improve care for certain conditions, specifically its outcomes around Heart Failure, Pneumonia and Surgical Care. Rutland Regional was one of only two hospitals in Vermont and one of only 1,224 hospitals in the United States to achieve the distinction as a 2013 Top Performer. Read More>>
“A” Rating in Hospital Safety Scores from The Leapfrog Group
In Fall 2014, Rutland Regional Medical Center was one of 790 hospitals out of 2,520 to receive an “A” rating in hospital safety from Leapfrog, an independent, national nonprofit organization that advocates for patient safety nationwide. In Vermont, Rutland Regional was the only hospital to receive this designation. The Leapfrog Hospital Score measures hospital performance in areas related to reducing injuries, accidents and preventable medical and medication errors. Visit the Hospital Safety Score website to learn more about safety ratings.
Certification of the Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program by the American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation (AACVPR)
The American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation (AACVPR) has certified Rutland Regional Medical Center’s Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program, Rutland Pulmonary Center, for its commitment to improving the quality of life by enhancing standards of care. Read More>>
Recognized by the American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy for Quality and Safety
The American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy (ASGE), a leading gastrointestinal medical society, has recognized Rutland Regional Medical Center’s Endoscopy Services, Rutland Digestive Services, as part of its program specifically dedicated to promoting quality in endoscopy in all settings where it is practiced in the United States. Rutland Digestive Services is one of more than 450 endoscopy units to be granted the recognition since 2009. Rutland Regional is the only hospital in the region to receive this recognition. Read More>>
Studer Group® Excellence in Patient Care Award Winner
In Summer 2014, Rutland Regional Medical Center was the recipient of the Studer Group® 2014 Excellence in Patient Care Award for Decreased Left Without Being Seen. The recipients of this award is based on a significant rate of change and/or substantial achievement in reduction of Left Without Being Seen within their organization over recent fiscal years. For more information on The Excellence in Patient Care Awards, visit the Studer Group® website.
Governor’s Award for Performance Excellence
In May 2010, Rutland Regional Medical Center received the Governor’s Award for Performance Excellence. The Governor’s Award, based upon the Baldridge Criteria for Performance Excellence, calls for an organized and integrated approach to organization excellence.
In April 2010 Rutland Regional earned Magnet® designation for excellence in nursing by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s (ANCC) Magnet Recognition Program. A highly selective program, only five percent of hospitals nationwide have been granted Magnet status, one of the highest achievements an organization can obtain in professional nursing. Read More>>